Recently I’ve been working really hard to enhance the agent learning experience. I’ve been doing this in a few ways:
- Simplifying presentations
- My sales meeting presentations often had multiple handouts. This was more than necessary and created more effort for agents to leave with a simple, usable piece of new knowledge.
- I also tended to address very different topics each week — I’m now focusing on one or two major themes per season so that our agents can see a more complete approach to each topic.
- My classes sometimes had complex Keynote/PowerPoint presentations with lots of bullets. Now I am taking the Seth Godin approach with simple, yet thought-provoking, image-based slides.
- Providing multimedia ways to learn from past seminars
- Knowing that our agents and administrators have many demands on their schedules and can’t always attend our classes, I’ve started recording them and sharing the info: now, the panel list and bios, slide deck, audio of the class, and a video highlight reel are all available on our intranet.
- Improving the intranet learning experience
- The Productivity section of the intranet has been organized chronologically, due to the organizational nature of blog-style websites. I have begun the process of organizing the information by topic. This will allow agents to peruse the information by looking at the topic that interests them most.
This has been a 5 week process and one that is not yet fully complete. But it’s been worth it.